SANTA STEAM TRAINS
DATES, PRICES AND TICKETS
On-line bookings are now open.
Please see the information below and click here to book.
In 2018 you can make a great start to the festive season with a visit to Santa aboard a steam train.
This year, Santa Steam Trains will run on:
Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd December
Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th December
Saturday 15th & Sunday 16th December
Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd December
Departure times from Bo’ness Station are
10.30, 12.00, 13.30 and 15.00
Pre-booking is essential click here to book online. .
Child (18 months to 15 years): £14.00
Infant (17 months and under): FREE
Seats are not allocated to infants (17 months and under) but they still receive a present from Santa.
There is no booking fee and postage is FREE.
If you have a special requirement, specifically, one of the party uses a wheelchair please call our Santa Line on 01506 530383.
HOW TO BOOK
Pre-booking is essential and online booking is available here.
Tickets CANNOT be booked in person at our North Street Office or via Bo’ness Station.
Please note no concessions or group booking discounts are available. If you have a party of more than 16 persons please call our Santa Line on 01506 530383.
Complimentary tickets, annual membership cards and vouchers and other discount passes are not valid for Santa Steam Trains.
WHAT HAPPENS ON THE DAY?
During the seven mile round journey to Birkhill, Santa will meet all the children and give each one a gift. At the station, adults will receive complimentary seasonal refreshments. So combine the nostalgia of steam with a treat for the children to make a really great day out!
- Journey time approximately one hour (NB The train will be stationary for part of the journey)
- Santa visits each child with a gift
- Complimentary refreshments for adults at Bo’ness Station
What’s more there is …
- Free parking
- Reserved seats
- Wheelchair-friendly coach (please let us know in advance to book)
- Museum of Scottish Railways
- Model Railway
- Gift shop
- Station Buffet available for meals and refreshments
OTHER USEFUL INFORMATION
Do I have to book in advance?
Yes. Santa Steam Trains, especially those for the weekend before Christmas book up quickly. You can book your tickets here.
When will I receive my tickets?
Allow 28 days from date of booking for receipt of tickets.
Can I pay with Vouchers?
Discount vouchers, complimentary tickets, season tickets, annual membership cards & vouchers and other discount passes are not valid for Santa Steam Trains.
Can I get a group discount?
No, there are no concessions, carer or group booking discounts available.
Will our seats be reserved on the train?
Yes for all adults and children aged 18 months and over. Seats are not allocated to infants (17 months and under).
Does our ticket price include our train fare?
How long does the journey last?
The journey to Birkhill and back takes about one hour. The train will be stationary for part of the journey to allow Santa time to meet all young passengers. Complimentary seasonal refreshments for adults will be available at Bo’ness Station before or after your journey.
Do all children receive a present from Santa?
Do you have facilities for disabled visitors?
Wheelchair accommodation is available in Coach B and must be pre-booked. When making your booking, please advise if assistance will be required (call the Santa Line on 01506 530383).
Bo’ness Station has dedicated disabled parking, an access ramp for wheelchairs and toilets for the disabled. All trains are equipped with ramps for easy wheelchair access.
What if I want to change or cancel my booking?
Bookings can be changed subject to availability but we reserve the right to apply an administrative charge of £5 for any changes made after the tickets have been issued. A full refund will be given only if the train service is unable to run.
What if I miss my train?
All trains will be fully booked, so you should arrive at Bo’ness at least 20 minutes before your train is due to depart. Your ticket is only valid for the date and departure time that is printed on it. We regret that trains cannot be held beyond their scheduled departure times.
Whilst every effort is made to run the services as advertised, the SRPS reserves the right to alter train services without notice.
Pushchairs, prams and buggies
Space on our trains is very limited so we offer a free buggy park* at Bo’ness Station where you can leave your pushchair, pram or buggy while you travel to Birkhill and back. Alternatively access to and from the station is permitted throughout the day should you prefer to leave your pushchair, pram or buggy in your car. If you have any queries please see event staff on the day.
* PLEASE NOTE: Buggy Park is unsupervised and items are left at owner’s risk. SRPS accepts no liability for any loss of items on the day.
Can I bring my dog?
Only guide /assistance dogs are permitted at this event.
Is the Museum of Scottish Railways open?
Yes, subject to weather conditions, the Museum of Scottish Railways will be open 11am until 3pm (last admission 2.30pm) and is included in your ticket price.
What else can we do?
• Treat yourself to a meal in the Station Buffet
• Visit our gift shop at Bo’ness Station
• Take the time to explore Bo’ness’ historic buildings and unique shops
How do we get to you?
The Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway is about 40 minutes drive from Edinburgh and Glasgow. See information here.
CONDITIONS OF BOOKING for Santa Steam Trains 2018
GENERAL CONDITIONS OF BOOKING for Santa Steam Trains 2018
1. Tickets CANNOT be booked in person at our North Street Office or via Bo’ness Station.
2. All seats are fully reserved and must be paid in advance.
3. Your ticket is valid for the date, departure time and coach noted on it.
4. Discount vouchers, complimentary tickets, season tickets, annual membership cards & vouchers and other discount passes are not valid for Santa Steam Trains.
5. The ticket price includes a return journey from Bo’ness Station to Birkhill Station.
6. Allow 28 days from date of booking for receipt of tickets.
7. Seats are not allocated to infants under 18 months.
8. If you have a special requirement, specifically if one of the party uses a wheelchair (the train includes a specially adapted coach which can accommodate up to 4 wheelchair passengers) or you have a party of more than 16 persons, please call our Santa Line on 01506 530383.
9. Whilst every effort will be made to run the services advertised, the SRPS (operators of the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway) reserves the right to alter train services without notice.
10. Please allow plenty of time to reach Bo’ness and, if appropriate, sufficient time to park your car/mini-bus/coach and make your way to the platform to board the train.
11. Trains will not be held beyond their scheduled departure time.
12. A full refund will be given only if the train service is unable to run.
13. Bookings can be changed subject to availability but we reserve the right to apply an administrative charge of £5 for any changes made after the tickets have been issued.
14. To allow time for each child to meet Santa, trains will be stationary for part of the journey.
15. The SRPS reserve the right to refuse access to, or remove from the train and stations, any persons who are considered to be using inappropriate behaviour or language affecting the safety of the train and/or its passengers or spoiling the enjoyment of others or failing to comply with any reasonable request made by a member of train or station staff.
16. If you have any issues during your journey then please bring them to the attention of a member of staff so there is an opportunity to rectify the situation.
17. All proceeds from Santa Steam Train tickets will be used for the development of the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway and the Museum of Scottish Railways at Bo’ness.
18. SRPS Railtours is a trading subsidiary of SRPS.
19. Your booking is taken as acceptance of the above conditions.
“This hidden gem is only 40 minutes drive from Glasgow and Edinburgh. The staff are really friendly and looked after us as we boarded a beautiful steam train, we saw heritage diesels too. The sights, smells and sounds really took us back in time. After a browse around the excellent Museum of Scottish Railways and a bite to eat in the Station Buffet we all agreed we would recommend it to everyone and we would definitely be back.”
Mr P Gray, Falkirk
Steam Gala Evening Fish & Chip Trains – las..
Fish & Chip Special Train – Friday 2 Novembe...Read more
Steam Gala 2018 – information available now..
The Steam Gala Enjoy an intensive all steam...Read more
Free event – Scottish Railways during WWI Ta..
On 2nd August at 18.30 in the Station Buffet at Bo...Read more
The Scottish Railway Preservation Society
Operators of Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway and Museum of Scottish Railways
Scottish Charity No. SC002375