We’re hiring! – Assistant Curator at Museum of Scottish Railways
Assistant Curator – Museum of Scottish Railways
Contract: 24 months
Salary: £18500 per annum
Working hours: 35 hours per week
The Scottish Railway Preservation Society owns the Museum of Scottish Railways and the Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway and manages the core collection that has been Recognised as being of National Significance through the Scottish Government Recognition Scheme. Most of the collection is owned by the Scottish Railway Museum Collections Trust and SRPS manages it on behalf of the owner. Visitors to the Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway can see parts of the collection and other rolling stock in operation on the railway and visit the Museum of Scottish Railways.
The post holder will work with our collection to make it more accessible through better documentation, storage and use of a searchable online collections database. There will also be a requirement to work closely with a team of volunteers. The post will be supervised by the Museum Director.
- To ensure collections documentation is up to date by processing new donations and updating existing documentation in particular object photography.
- To work with and train volunteers in the procedures used in working with the collection.
- To carry out environmental monitoring of storage areas.
- To work with the Adlib collection database.
- To lead a team of volunteers photographing the collection.
- To populate a searchable collection database on our website.
- To facilitate public access to the collection, including through management of the museum’s social media accounts.
- To assist with planning and setting up temporary exhibitions.
- To cover front of house where necessary.
- To assist with school visits and set up and manage family learning holiday activities.
- To assist with general curatorial duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Applicants must be educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject
- Relevant experience of working with a museum collection
- Familiarity with the use of collections management databases
- Excellent attention to detail
- Confident IT skills with experience of collections management systems
- Flexible, confident approach with the ability to work independently or as part of a team
- High standard of written and spoken English
- Museum studies qualification
- Interest in Scottish Railway History
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Experience of working with Adlib
Closing date for this position is Friday 12th July with interviews to be held on Thursday 25th July 2019. Applications should include a CV and covering letter with your reasons for applying. Completed applications should be emailed to email@example.com or sent to:
Scottish Railway Preservation Society,
17-19 North Street,
“This hidden gem is only 40 minutes drive from Glasgow and Edinburgh. The staff are really friendly and looked after us as we boarded a beautiful steam train, we saw heritage diesels too. The sights, smells and sounds really took us back in time. After a browse around the excellent Museum of Scottish Railways and a bite to eat in the Station Buffet we all agreed we would recommend it to everyone and we would definitely be back.”
Mr P Gray, Falkirk
Bo’ness Footbridge – Update August 201..
In order to maintain the footbridge at Bo’ness, ...Read more
Summer Steam Up 2019 – 17th & 18th Augu..
During our ‘Summer Steam Up’, new for 2019, pa...Read more
1950s/40s Event Saturday 31 August 2019..
Following the huge success of our previous 1950s e...Read more
31 August 2019
Steam and heritage DMU trains, music, dancing, dance demos, stalls and vintage cars. Everyone, from 1950s revival fans to fam...View more
DAY OUT WITH THOMAS
07 September 2019
Engines with friendly faces, children's entertainment, competitions, face painting, fairground attractions. ...View more
The Scottish Railway Preservation Society
Operators of Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway and Museum of Scottish Railways
Scottish Charity No. SC002375