DATES, PRICES AND TICKETS
Dates & Times – TICKETS ARE NOW BEING DISPATCHED AND WILL ARRIVE VERY SOON
In 2017 you can make a great start to the festive season with a visit to Santa aboard a steam train. This year, Santa Steam Trains will run on:
Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th November – Good availability on all trains
Saturday 2nd December – very limited 2 seats together on 1500 train, all others single seats only
Sunday 3rd December – Single seats only
Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th December – Single seats only
Saturday 16th & Sunday 17th December – Single seats only
Saturday 23rd December – Single seats only
Departure times from Bo’ness Station are 10.30, 12.00, 13.30 and 15.00
Adult: £14.30 (£13.00 ticket price £1.30 booking fee)*
Child: £14.30 (£13.00 ticket price £1.30 booking fee)*
Infant (under 2 years) FREE
*Total booking fee capped and will not exceed £7.25 – Please note, these fees are charged to facilitate the processing of credit and debit card payments and to cover the administration costs and overheads associated with each ticket sale by our ticket agent, Quaytickets.
**£1.50 Delivery fee applies
Seats are not allocated to infants (under 2 years) but they still receive a present from Santa.
If you have a special requirement, specifically, one of the party uses a wheelchair please call the Box Office on 0333 3200 750.
How to Book
Pre-booking is essential and online booking is available here . Tickets CANNOT be booked in person at our North Street Office or via Bo’ness Station.
Please note no concessions or group booking discounts are available. If you have a party of more than 16 persons please call the Box Office on 0333 3200 750.
Tesco vouchers, complimentary tickets, annual membership cards and vouchers and other discount passes are not valid for Santa Steam Trains.
WHAT HAPPENS ON THE DAY?
During the seven mile round journey to Birkhill, Santa will meet all the children and give each one a gift. During your visit, adults will receive complimentary seasonal refreshments. So combine the nostalgia of steam with a treat for the children to make a really great day out!
- Journey time approximately one hour (NB The train will be stationary for part of the journey)
- Santa visits each child with a gift
- Complimentary refreshments for adults at Bo’ness Station
What’s more there is …
- Free parking
- Reserved seats
- Wheelchair-friendly coach (please let us know in advance to book)
- Gift shop
- Station Buffet available for meals and refreshments
OTHER USEFUL INFORMATION
Do I have to book in advance? Yes. Santa Steam Trains, especially those for the weekend before Christmas book up quickly. You can book your tickets here.
When will I receive my tickets? Tickets will be sent up to 28 days prior to your visit.
Can I pay with Tesco Vouchers? Discount vouchers, complimentary tickets, season tickets, annual membership cards & vouchers and other discount passes are not valid for Santa Steam Trains.
Can I get a group discount? No, there are no concessions, carer or group booking discounts available.
Will our seats be reserved on the train? Yes. At the time of booking you will select your own seats for all adults and children aged 2 years and over. Seats are not allocated to infants (under 2 years).
Does our ticket price include our train fare? Yes.
How long does the journey last? The journey to Birkhill and back takes about one hour. The train will be stationary for part of the journey to allow Santa time to meet all young passengers. Complimentary seasonal refreshments for adults will be available at Bo’ness Station before or after your journey.
Do all children receive a present from Santa? Yes.
Do you have facilities for disabled visitors? Wheelchair accommodation is available in Coach B and must be pre-booked. When making your booking, please advise if assistance will be required (call the Box Office on 0333 3200 750).
Bo’ness Station has dedicated disabled parking, an access ramp for wheelchairs and toilets for the disabled. All trains are equipped with ramps for easy wheelchair access.
What if I want to change or cancel my booking? We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase unless the scheduled train is cancelled. A full refund will be given only if the train service is unable to run.
What if I miss my train? All trains will be fully booked, so you should arrive at Bo’ness at least 20 minutes before your train is due to depart. Your ticket is only valid for the date and departure time that is printed on it. We regret that trains cannot be held beyond their scheduled departure times.
Whilst every effort is made to run the services as advertised, the SRPS reserves the right to alter train services without notice.
Pushchairs, prams and buggies Space on our trains is very limited so we offer a free buggy park* at Bo’ness Station where you can leave your pushchair, pram or buggy while you travel to Birkhill and back. Alternatively access to and from the station is permitted throughout the day should you prefer to leave your pushchair, pram or buggy in your car. If you have any queries please see event staff on the day.
* PLEASE NOTE: Buggy Park is unsupervised and items are left at owner’s risk. SRPS accepts no liability for any loss of items on the day.
Can I bring my dog? Only guide /assistance dogs are permitted at this event.
Is the Museum of Scottish Railways open? Yes, subject to weather conditions, the Museum of Scottish Railways (link to http://www.bkrailway.co.uk/your-visit/museum/ ) will be open 11am until 3pm (last admission 2.30pm) and is included in your ticket price.
What else can we do?
- Treat yourself to a meal in the Station Buffet
- Visit our gift shop at Bo’ness Station
- Take the time to explore Bo’ness’ historic buildings and unique shops
How do we get to you?
The Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway is about 40 minutes drive from Edinburgh and Glasgow. See map here.
CONDITIONS OF BOOKING for Santa Steam Trains 2017
GENERAL CONDITIONS OF BOOKING for Santa Steam Trains 2017
1. Tickets for Santa Steam Trains 2017 are booked via Quaytickets, please see their website here for further details and their Terms and Conditions.
2. Tickets CANNOT be booked in person at our North Street Office or via Bo’ness Station.
3. All seats are fully reserved and must be paid in advance.
4. Your ticket is valid for the date, departure time and coach noted on it.
5. Discount vouchers, complimentary tickets, season tickets, annual membership cards & vouchers and other discount passes are not valid for Santa Steam Trains.
6. Ticket price includes a return journey from Bo’ness Station to Birkhill Station.
7. Tickets will be sent up to 28 days prior to your visit.
8. Seats are not allocated to infants (under 2).
9.If you have a special requirement, specifically, one of the party uses a wheelchair (the train includes a specially adapted coach which can accommodate up to 4 wheelchair passengers) or you have a party of more than 16 persons please call the Box Office on 0333 3200 750.
10. Whilst every effort will be made to run the services advertised, the SRPS (operators of the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway) reserve the right to alter train services without notice.
11. Please allow plenty of time to reach Bo’ness and, if appropriate, sufficient time to park your car/mini-bus/coach and make your way to the platform to board the train.
12. Trains will not be held beyond their scheduled departure time.
13. To allow time for each child to meet Santa, trains will be stationary for part of the journey.
14. The SRPS reserve the right to refuse access to, or remove from the train and stations any persons who are considered to be using inappropriate behaviour or language affecting the safety of the train and/or its passengers or spoiling the enjoyment of others or failing to comply with any reasonable request made by a member of train or station staff.
15. If you have any issues during your journey then please bring them to attention of a member of staff so there is an opportunity to rectify the situation.
16. Your personal details may be retained by SRPS for administration and/or marketing purposes.
17. All proceeds from Santa Steam Train tickets will be used for the development of the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway and Museum of Scottish Railways at Bo’ness.
18. Your booking is taken as acceptance of the above conditions.
“This hidden gem is only 40 minutes drive from Glasgow and Edinburgh. The staff are really friendly and looked after us as we boarded a beautiful steam train, we saw heritage diesels too. The sights, smells and sounds really took us back in time. After a browse around the excellent Museum of Scottish Railways and a bite to eat in the Station Buffet we all agreed we would recommend it to everyone and we would definitely be back.”
Mr P Gray, Falkirk
Santa Steam Trains – tickets still availableR..
Thousands of young visitors and their families w...Read more
Black Bun Hogmanay Trains 2017..
Join hundreds of visitors on December 30th and 31s...Read more
Steam ‘n’ Scream Halloween 2017..
Visit us on Saturday and Sunday, October 28 and 29...Read more
The Scottish Railway Preservation Society
Operators of Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway and Museum of Scottish Railways
Scottish Charity No. SC002375