ABOUT THE TRAINS

STEAM LOCOMOTIVES

NCB No.7 (WD 75254)

Built by W. G. Bagnall Ltd in 1945 (Works No.2777).
Acquired from NCB Comrie Colliery Fife. This locomotive may have been built/assembled for Bagnall by Andrew Barclay in Kilmarnock. It returned to traffic after a major overhaul in the livery applied when originally supplied to the MOD.
This locomotive is currently in traffic and performing very well, it is one of the locomotives most likely to haul your train when you visit.

 

NCB No. 19

Built by Hunslet Engine Co Leeds in 1954 (Works No.3818).

Acquired from NCB Comrie Colliery Fife, this locomotive has currently just completed a major overhaul.

Currently in traffic and performing very well, the locomotive has now been fitted with a lempor type exhaust which has dramatically improved its steaming ability.

NCB No.1 “Lord Roberts”

No.1 was built by Neilson Reid of Glasgow in 1899 with works number NR 5710. It then became Coltness no.1 and worked internal works traffic as well as the Coltness Iron Company’s traffic. Then no.1 was transferred to the National Coal Board Scottish Division (NCB) as part of the Scottish coal industry nationalisation settlement. It was based at Twechar, near Kilsyth, and worked at Bedlay Colliery. It was withdrawn in 1968 and in September 1968 the locomotive was presented by the NCB to the SRPS.  The locomotive is registered as a “Thomas” and is a powerful locomotive well able to deal with most of the loads required on the Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway and is presently under restoration but will return to traffic in 2017.

 

LNER – D49, No.246 “Morayshire”

Built by the LNER at Darlington Works in 1928 and designed by Nigel Gresley. Now in the ownership of National Museums Scotland who in 1974 agreed to loan it to the SRPS with the aim of returning it to steam. Morayshire has been in and out of service since then due to restoration undertaken by our volunteers and is presently at Llangollen Railway for a full overhaul.

 

 

Caledonian Railway No. 419 (55189)

Built by the Caledonian Railway at St Rollox Works, Glasgow, in 1907 No 419 was designed by J.F. Mcintosh for branch line work, fast suburban and banking duties.

Caledonian Railway 419 is the flagship of the Scottish Railway Preservation Society.  It appears on the society’s letter heading and has represented the SRPS at numerous events on both sides of the border and is presently undergoing a full overhaul.

It is planned to have the locomotive back in traffic in the third quarter of 2017.

 

Further details, photographs and news of the steam locomotive fleet as well as those in restoration can be found on the SRPS Steam Locomotive Group Website.

 

DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES

The last service train on Saturdays and Sundays is normally hauled by one of the heritage diesels (except in August and some special events). Further details and photographs of the diesel fleet can be found on the SRPS Diesel Group Website.

SRPS Diesel Locomotives

BR 0-6-0 08443 (D3558)
Built in 1958 at Derby Works.

BR Type 1 Bo-Bo D8020 (20020)
Built in 1959 by Robert Stevenson & Hawthorn, Darlington.

BR Type 2 Bo-Bo D7585 (25235)

Built in 1961 at Darlington Works.

BR Type 2 Bo-Bo D5341 (27001) and D5351 (27005)
Built in 1961 by Birmingham Carriage & Wagon Company.

BR Type 3 Co-Co 37403 (37307/D6607)
Built in 1965 by English Electric, Vulcan Foundry.

BR Type 4 Co-Co 47643 (47269/D1970)
Built in 1966 at Crewe Works.

BR ‘Swindon’ DMU
Built in 1956/59 at Swindon Works.

The SRPS also owns several industrial diesel locomotives.

Also based at Bo’ness are 26004 & 26024 (both owned by 6LDA), and 37025 Inverness TMD (owned by the Scottish Thirty-Seven Group).

THE COACHES

Most trains on the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway are formed of former British Railways Mk1 coaches which were built in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The set of coaches used for the normal services are painted in the early British Railways crimson and cream (blood & custard) livery. For some special events when longer trains are required some of the SRPS Railtours maroon liveried coaches are used.

 

CR419 and Caledonian Railway coaches at Kinneil alt

CR419 and Caledonian Railway coaches at Kinneil cap

On certain special occasions coaches from the historic collection are used. These include two Caledonian coaches which were built in 1921.